So what does it mean to say we construct “reality”? We don’t just willy-nilly dream up the sun everyday, do we? I suppose it’s a matter of bias, distortion, omission, focus. But it’s really difficult to pinpoint where beliefs end and “reality” begins.
Take the following statements:
- History accurately describes the past.
- Reality is more well-understood today than it was in the past. In the future, we’ll understand it even more clearly.
- Objective truth exists.
- The Qur’an | the Book of Mormon | the Book of Tobit | Exodus 21:20-21 is the holy word of God.
- We have free will.
- Causality is a universal principle (i.e., the turtles go all the way down).
- The universe | God is uncaused (i.e., the turtles don’t go all the way down).
- Animals aren’t conscious.
- Humans are more important than (other) animals.
- It’s important to “stay informed” by reading the NYTimes | watching Fox News | listening to Democracy Now!
- Ghosts exist.
- Unicorns exist.
Read more here.